Most pet owners understand that it is important to choose a quality food in order to help maintain the health of your pet. What many do not know, however, is how to compare dog foods to be sure that they are feeding their dog the best possible option.
Finding the Best Dog Food for Your Pet
Before looking at how to understand dog food reviews, let’s look at the type of information that you should not put much stock in when comparing dog foods.
1. Consumer Reviews – A consumer review is one that is written by the user of a product rather than an expert. While these should not carry as much weight as a review by an expert, you can consider some opinions when making your decision.
2. Marketing Materials – This type of “review” should not be part of your decision making process. The reason is simple: These are written by professional copywriters to show their products in the best possible light.
There is nothing wrong with that, but such materials are hardly the type of unbiased reviews that you need to make an informed decision.
Understanding Dog Food Reviews
One of the best ways to compare dog foods is to find unbiased reviews that break down the ingredients and nutritional content of each food that you are considering.
- Ingredients – The quality of the ingredients used are one of the most important considerations. Even if a food has plenty of protein and carbs, if it is made with very poor quality ingredients, such as meat byproducts, it is not going to be the best choice.
- Nutritional Content – The nutritional content is another important consideration. For each stage of your dog’s life, there are minimum requirements that must be met in terms of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Also, the inclusion of added minerals, omega 3s and other health boosters only add to the overall rating of the food.
- Controversial Ingredients – If the food contains controversial ingredients, such as meat byproducts, chemical preservatives or artificial colors that will, obviously, detract from the overall quality of the food. Some ingredients that are considered controversial are less questionable than others so it is important to become familiar with ingredients used in dog food.
- Organic – To some pet owners, only the best will do including the use of organic and human grade foods. Dog foods that use such ingredients will score better in dog food reviews.
Is There One “Best” Dog Food?
As you go about the task of comparing dog foods, keep one thing in mind: There is no one food that is the absolute best. The food that is right for your pet depends on many factors such as cost, the age and health of your pet and others.
There are many quality brands. After you compare dog foods, you will be ready to make the best decision for your pet.